[PD] Re: [PD-dev] We've got to undo the MIDI revolution! - Where isOSC?!

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Thu Mar 16 08:34:08 CET 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> FUDI wasn't designed to "undo" the MIDI revolution.
>
> Is there OSC over RS232 ?

OSC doesn't specify the transport layer AFAIK, so yes, there is.
If your question is if there is an implementation, then I would
say I don't think so. You will see more implementations of the
MIDI protocol over RS232 (MIDI hardware != RS232) because MIDI
is easier to implement.

In that sense FUDI is very nice in that it is human readable,
but its implementation is quite complicated as you need a
parser for the number values. And it needs a bit more bandwidth
under most circumstances.

MIDI is a hardware- and protocol specification, OSC
is just a protocol. With a decent 8-bit clean morse alphabet
you could even transmit it by drumming :)
But encoding and decoding it is pretty complicated.

Guenter