[PD] Re: [PD-dev] We've got to undo the MIDI revolution! - Where isOSC?!

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Mar 17 03:17:09 CET 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 07:43:21PM +0100, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:55:41 -0500
> From: Martin Peach <martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Re: [PD-dev] We've got to undo the MIDI revolution!
> 	- Where	isOSC?!
> To: geiger <geiger at xdv.org>
> Cc: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>, pd-list at iem.at,	Frank
> 	Barknecht <fbar at footils.org>
>
> geiger wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> >

> >>FUDI wasn't designed to "undo" the MIDI revolution.
> >>
> >>Is there OSC over RS232 ?
> >>

> >OSC doesn't specify the transport layer AFAIK, so yes, there is.
> >If your question is if there is an implementation, then I would
> >say I don't think so. You will see more implementations of the
> >MIDI protocol over RS232 (MIDI hardware != RS232) because MIDI
> >is easier to implement.
> >
> Complicated compared to what?
> As far as PD goes, it would be nice to have the OSC objects use the same
> code as netsend and netreceive, that way TCP could be used as well as

As far as I can tell, all that would be needed to acheive this is an
object called [stol] (symbol to list) in Pd canonical. This object is
like Perl's "split" function and it would take a character (such as "/")
as it's first argument. Then you could just go:

[netrecieve myport 1]

[list split 1]
|           |
[stol /]    |
|           |
|           |
|           [...list split or route value bits here...]

[...list split or route path bits here...]

Sending OSC udp packets to myport. N'est pas?

I'm sure someone must have coded something like [stol] already. Let's
push to get it into Pd and then we can have OSC without the extra
overhead of external libraries etc.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx