[PD] Re: [PD-dev] We've got to undo the MIDI revolution! - Where isOSC?!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Mar 17 03:54:52 CET 2006

On Mar 16, 2006, at 8:42 PM, cdr wrote:

>> OSC does not specify the transport specifically but it was designed
>> around UDP, so its not a trivial spec:
>
> the spec is really simple, anything that can stream binary data can
> move it. Om-synth has added OSC patching this to its CVS version..
> how Om handles types is: the cables dont care what theyre carrying,
> and will only connect xlets with matching typetags (eg control,
> signal, OSC, MIDI). they can carry 'chockfoo' or 'OSCviaJSON', as
> long as you have a plugin (aka object) to handle it..
>
>> afaik nobody uses timetags
>
> imagine for a second you are writing OSC data to a file on disk
> instead of a UDP socket - when you are reading back later
> on..timetags would be quite useful. the most basic step of
> implementing an OSC sequencer (without converting a limited subset
> of the OSC types to say, pd types, and incurring further precision
> penalties when writing to disk via [textfile]) would be to store
> and load OSC from a file, do any apps do this yet?
>
> liblo is nice, but would be an extra library dependency, plus its C+
> + - both eschewed by the pd core ethos..the more idiomatic
> solution? generalized transport mechanisms and OSC implemented as a
> set of data-parsing abstractions..
>
> there was a proposal from matju on how to implement this, here it
> is again:
>
> ack..cant find it. i think it was using some pointer tricks so the
> cables didnt actually have to carry OSC and other objects could
> somehow reference the id of the UDP or TCP object? i read it and
> didnt quite understand..

Timetags would be really useful, too bad no one has implemented
them.  As for liblo, there are already so many dependencies to Pd-
extended, what's one more ;).

Seriously, if someone wrote some objects based on liblo, managing
that lib would be easy enough.  The liblo source could go into the
section for external sources aka "imports".

____

                             http://at.or.at/hans/