[PD] Re: [PD-dev] We've got to undo the MIDI revolution! - Where isOSC?!

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Mar 17 05:20:59 CET 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 04:50:43AM +0100, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 03:09:53 +0000
> From: cdr <ix at replic.net>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Re: [PD-dev] We've got to undo the MIDI revolution!
> 	- Where	isOSC?!
> To: pd-list at iem.at
>
> > As far as I can tell, all that would be needed to acheive this is an
> > object called [stol] (symbol to list) in Pd canonical. This object is
> > like Perl's "split" function and it would take a character (such as "/")
> > as it's first argument. Then you could just go:
> >
> > [netrecieve myport 1]
> > |
> > [list split 1]
> > |           |
> > [stol /]    |
> > |           |
> > |           |
> > |           [...list split or route value bits here...]
> > |
> > [...list split or route path bits here...]
> >

> > Sending OSC udp packets to myport. N'est pas?
>
> i dont think that will work..OSC is encoded a specific way, using a typetag and combinations of various kinds of big endian numbers and ASCII text, zero padding to byte boundaries to delimit messages/message-components (the typetags and path are treated as a string). netsend uses ASCII text for everything and uses ";" to delimit..
>
> see http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/OSC-spec-examples.html
>
> its simple to implement, but impossible to implement in PD, as a patch...since you cant stream 'bytes' around the way you can floats or symbols or lists...

You are quite correct. My apologies for highlighting my ignorance quite
so lucidly!

In this case, I think it would be a good idea to try and get the OSC
objects that everyone is using into Miller's Pd. Why write new ones
using liblo when there are ones that already work?

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx