[PD] Re: [PD-dev] We've got to undo the MIDI revolution! - Where isOSC?!

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Mar 17 15:21:54 CET 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Martin Peach wrote:
> >But encoding and decoding it is pretty complicated.
> >

> Complicated compared to what?

I meant in general, but one could compare it to MIDI, for example, which
is a lot easier to parse as the data types and the data come bundled,
whereas with OSC you have them separated, which makes parsing harder
because you have to maintain a pointer to the data and the types. Also
if you start to think about timetagged, recursive bundles of messages
and the way you would deliver them correctly it gets pretty hairy.

Writing a correct OSC parser is not trivial.

Guenter