[PD] Re: [PD-dev] We've got to undo the MIDI revolution! - Where isOSC?!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 19 03:54:57 CET 2006

On Mar 16, 2006, at 11:20 PM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 04:50:43AM +0100, pd-list-request at iem.at
> wrote:
>> Message: 7
>> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 03:09:53 +0000
>> From: cdr <ix at replic.net>
>> Subject: Re: [PD] Re: [PD-dev] We've got to undo the MIDI revolution!
>> 	- Where	isOSC?!
>> To: pd-list at iem.at
>>
>>> As far as I can tell, all that would be needed to acheive this is an
>>> object called [stol] (symbol to list) in Pd canonical. This
>>> object is
>>> like Perl's "split" function and it would take a character (such
>>> as "/")
>>> as it's first argument. Then you could just go:
>>>
>>> [netrecieve myport 1]
>>> |
>>> [list split 1]
>>> |           |
>>> [stol /]    |
>>> |           |
>>> |           |

>>> [...list split or route path bits here...]
>>>

>>> Sending OSC udp packets to myport. N'est pas?
>>
>> i dont think that will work..OSC is encoded a specific way, using
>> a typetag and combinations of various kinds of big endian numbers
>> and ASCII text, zero padding to byte boundaries to delimit
>> messages/message-components (the typetags and path are treated as
>> a string). netsend uses ASCII text for everything and uses ";" to
>> delimit..
>>
>> see http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/OpenSoundControl/OSC-spec-
>> examples.html
>>
>> its simple to implement, but impossible to implement in PD, as a
>> patch...since you cant stream 'bytes' around the way you can
>> floats or symbols or lists...
>
> You are quite correct. My apologies for highlighting my ignorance
> quite
> so lucidly!
>
> In this case, I think it would be a good idea to try and get the OSC
> objects that everyone is using into Miller's Pd. Why write new ones
> using liblo when there are ones that already work?

The OSC objects are already in Pd-extended.  So you can use that
while you are waiting for Miller to include OSC into core.

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies."
                                                     - Amy Smith