[PD] Getting rid of the new help browser

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Mar 19 20:53:25 CET 2006

Hallo,

> Its a huge improvement on the implementation side of things on Mac
> OS X.  This help browser is by no means a "finished product".  Its
> really just the groundwork for the PDDP help browser which will
> include searching and automatic categorization using meta data.
>
> This is written in Tcl/Tk.  It would be much cooler if it was
> written in Pd.  I think that all of the properties/pref panels in Pd
> should be written in Pd.  Its that way in Max/MSP...

Yes, that could be cool for Pd as well, but will it solve my keyboard
navigation problem? Probably not so soon. :(

At least Tk should be easy to learn, but unfortunatly this is still on
my todo-list. The only thing I learned and changed so far is to use a
double-click to open help patches from the browser. (Line 458: "bind
$current_listbox <Double-Button-1>  ...")

I'm still reading the necessary docs on how to bind keyboard events to
the listbox, so that the arrow keys and first-letter navigation may
become possible. I really have a sore mouse arm from years of using Pd
already and the list of patches in "doc" is huge, so I really want to
get keyboard navigation back. However this might end in reimplementing
Tk's File Chooser using different widgets... :(

Ciao