[PD] PD on Mac-Intel

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Mon Mar 20 17:40:37 CET 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 10:39 AM, B. Bogart wrote:
> I just wanted to chime in on the fact that the mactels have "Trusted
> Computing"
>
> Here is a video of a lecture David Turner (FSF) did at piksel: (150MB)
> http://www.bek.no/~piksel/piksel05/david_turner_FSF-TC_2005.10.20.mpeg

...haven't seen it, but thanks for the link, I'll grab it later...

> Seems to be reason enough to boycott the mactels in their current
> form,
> buy the PPCs or wait for a non "trusted" mactel.

...ahh, the ol' "stick my head in the sand" approach:  personally, I
find this naive at best, harmful at worst...at this point, I would be
surprised if any shipping machine based on the intel chipset used
with coreduo processors doesn't have some form of a TCM chip...so, do
we just stop?  Maybe...but what happens when you don't use the TPM?
AFAIK, apple's TCM provides a mechanism to  keep you from installing
osx on non-apple hardware, but as we've seen from general reports,
this has work-arounds if you wish to pursue them...the other use
would be to allow artists and content providers to attempt to retain
some form of control over their created material:  I'd imagine this
is most used in things downloaded thru the iTunes store, but doesn't
have anything to do with any cd/movie that you yourself rip...but
again, this can be broken if you wish to spend the time on it, and so
it effectively only provides an annoyance to the determined...

...so, what does this mean for pd (in an attempt to stay OT, list-
wise):  conceivably, OSX quicktime at some point may prevent some
DRM'ed movies from working in GEM, but I haven't heard of anything
near that happening...if this happens, we could switch to the
opensource libraries as are used on the linux version of GEM, or even
move to gstreamer?  But this hasn't happened, and never will be an
issue for your self-created media, anyway...

...personally, I'm waiting for the time (soon, I'm sure) when linux
easily installs on the macbook, and the ATI gl drivers work, then I'm
jumping into dual-boot land!

just my 2c,
james