[PD] Re: [PD-dev] We've got to undo the MIDI revolution! - Where isOSC?!

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Wed Mar 22 01:23:26 CET 2006

day 5 wrote:

> On Mar 16, 2006, at 12:43 PM, B. Bogart wrote:
>
>> In fact I think the whole OSC external thing needs to be rethought.
>

> why not just implement a wrapper to liblo ?

Investigating further, I see that liblo can only send via UDP and UNIX
sockets, not TCP. It handles its own sockets internally just like libOSC
(the basis for sendOSC and dumpOSC in pd).
In pd, netsend and netreceive can do TCP as well. OSC is supposed to
work on 'any' protocol, but AFAIK it hasn't been implemented on MIDI or
RS232 or USB, probably for lack of interest. At least a TCP
implementation would be useful for those who need guaranteed delivery of
packets.

Martin