[PD] pd~conf 2.0

Hans-Christoph Steiner hsteiner at poly.edu
Thu Mar 23 01:11:01 CET 2006

Its been a while since pd~conf and I think we are long overdue for
another.  I have recently started a job at Polytechnic University in
downtown Brooklyn (http://poly.edu I work at http://idmi.poly.edu ),
and I can host conferences here for free, and the dorms are available
for US$35/night when the students are out of session.  This place has
a lot to offer in terms of facilities: a 350 seat auditorium, lecture
halls, a big plaza for art projects, a 9-screen/9-computer hall with
multi-channel sound where we are currently developing software so
that it can be used as one OpenGL space, one video screen, or a 9-
screen laptop jam.

The problem in the U.S. is that there are very few grants for this
kind of thing, so it would probably be hard to get grants to fund
everyone's travel and hotels like the IEM folks did so amazingly.
The standard way that conferences fund themselves in the U.S. is by
charging a conference fee.  Since this is about free software, it
would be nice to have the conference free too.

Let's start the process now and get some ideas flowing, and maybe we
can come up with something.