[PD] pd~conf 2.0

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Mar 24 16:28:52 CET 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Its been a while since pd~conf and I think we are long overdue for
> another.  I have recently started a job at Polytechnic University in
> downtown Brooklyn (http://poly.edu I work at http://idmi.poly.edu ),
> and I can host conferences here for free, and the dorms are available
> for US$35/night when the students are out of session.  This place has
> a lot to offer in terms of facilities: a 350 seat auditorium, lecture
> halls, a big plaza for art projects, a 9-screen/9-computer hall with
> multi-channel sound where we are currently developing software so
> that it can be used as one OpenGL space, one video screen, or a 9-
> screen laptop jam.
>
> The problem in the U.S. is that there are very few grants for this
> kind of thing, so it would probably be hard to get grants to fund
> everyone's travel and hotels like the IEM folks did so amazingly.
> The standard way that conferences fund themselves in the U.S. is by
> charging a conference fee.  Since this is about free software, it
> would be nice to have the conference free too.
>
> Let's start the process now and get some ideas flowing, and maybe we
> can come up with something.

Hi,

Great initiative, my proposal for funding is the one I already expressed
in our discussion about donations. We get a bank account and a
"Donate" button on the puredata web site.

Maybe we should calculate the costs for such an event in advance and
when we are about to reach the amount, we organize a conference.

Although this model didn't find much appreciation back then, I still
think it is a fair use of the collected money on a project where so
many individuals are involved.

I know that you didn't like this idea, but I have no experience in fund
raising, so collecting donations is the only thing that comes to
my mind right now.

Günter