[PD] newbie problem compiling dssi~

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 16:17:02 CET 2006

Hi,

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 16:21:06 +0200
"Libero Mureddu" <libero.mureddu at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Hi,
> yes, I've read the README, the problem is that is my first compilation
> and that I didn't know that I had to copy the header files in the
> include folder. Anyway, I would like to continue try compile, because
> I have the impression that with pure data it's quite useful to learn
> how to do it. Sorry for the many newbie mistakes!

You're right, it is a good idea to learn about compiling code if you're going to get on in the PD world!

> So I copied all the files in the include folder, but now, during make,
> I get this error about seq_event.h:
>
> Computer-di-Libero-Mureddu:/puredatacvs/externals/postlude/dssi libero$ make
> cc -DPD -O3 -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-unused
> -Wno-parentheses -Wno-switch -L/usr/local/lib/ -I ./ -I ../src
> -I/usr/local/include/ -I ./include -I/usr/local/include/dssi/ -o
> dssi~.o -c src/dssi~.c
> In file included from src/dssi~.h:28,
>                  from src/dssi~.c:29:
> ./include/dssi.h:28:28: error: alsa/seq_event.h: No such file or directory
>
> but the seq_event.h is present in the "include" folder.

What the error message is telling you is that the compiler can't find alsa/seq_event.h in its include path (all the -I <directory> paths). To fix this, you should create a directory called alsa inside dssi/include and move seq_event.h into it. I have now updated the CVS to reflect this.

In general you should keep header files in some standard location, so other build systems can find them. /usr/local/include is the usual place on *n*x systems.

> I've also tried to use the dssi~ binary, the object loads, but as soon
> as I give a path to the plugin, it crashes. Here is the report from
> console. My ladspa plugins are installed in /usr/local/lib/ladspa.
>
> Warning: no LADSPA_PATH and DSSI_PATH, assuming
> /usr/lib/ladspa:/usr/local/lib/ladspa:/usr/lib/dssi:/usr/local/lib/dssi
> pd_gui: pd process exited
> Mar 24 16:19:02 Computer-di-Libero-Mureddu crashdump[16343]: pd crashed
> Mar 24 16:19:08 Computer-di-Libero-Mureddu crashdump[16343]: crash
> report written to:
> /Volumes/scripta/Users/libero/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/pd.crash.log

Sorry about that; I haven't got around to making a new help patch to reflect the changes since version 0.8. These include a new mechanism for loading plugins and a new inlet/outlet structure.

To load a plugin, just type its name (easier), e.g. sine_faaa, or type the path to the library (faster) followed by the plugin name .e.g /usr/local/lib/ladspa/sine.so:sine_faaa. To list all plugins and locations send a |listplugins( message

At any rate, an incorrect argument shouldn't crash PD, so I need to fix that. Could you send me the file pd.crash.log

Jamie