[PD] tabread / write broken on 64bit AMD Linux

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Mar 25 22:33:03 CET 2006

hi.
i stripped this mail down a bit, since i already have the whole thread
in my mailbox and don't need it double, and triple and ...

Paris Treantafeles wrote:
> Hi Miller and List,
>
> I can't resist asking (sorry if this is beating a dead horse) but...
> I'm seriously considering building an AMD64 box for other purposes
> (e.g. cinelerra).
> Given that, would it make sense to have two partitions?

on most systems it makes sense to set up your OS on more than 1
partitions (i have root, tmp, var, usr, home and swap) - and that is
with just 1 single running OS.

> One running Linux 64 bit (when using cinelerra) and the other a Linux
> 32 bit for Pd, Gem, etc.?

actually you can run 32bit applications while running 64bit linux using
a chrooted environment (that provides the 32bit libs) ((my knowledge on
this is a bit rusty - it might be that nowadays you don't even need a
chroot and just have to do some ld-magic))

> Or are the concerns expressed below based on the processor more than
> the OS?

the amd64 can run "as a" 32bit processor (in fact it is some hybrid
between 64bit and 32bit processor). anyhow, as long as you are running
in 32bit mode you will not experience any problems (which you won't
experience on other 32bit processor :-))

mfg.adsr.
IOhannes