[PD] data structures - color?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Mar 25 22:39:53 CET 2006

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>>The whole color thing is a bit of a mess.  I think that the Gem float
>>RGB scheme should be adopted everywhere.
>

> In GF it would be difficult if using the default int types à la GEM.
> However, unlike GEM and PDP, GF also supports float images, so if you
> really want to use float colors in GF, you can do it.

where do you see any difficulties?
the question is how the colours are represented in "pd number space"
(this is: the numbers you see in numberboxes).
Gem uses internally "unsigned char" to represent numbers, pdp uses
"short" and GF uses various types.
however, when you set a colour in Gem, you say "1.f 0.f 0.f" and not
"0xff 0xff 0xff"; the user need not know about how the numbers are
handled internally (sometimes they will have to, e.g. when it comes to
rounding errors)

i think hc's idea is (and i very much like it), that you could also set
the iemgui's colours with something like "1.f 0.f 0.f" instead of
"0.9e7" (or whatever, i haven't checked). it is not really important if
the the colour-representation in the saved patch is again some magic
word (though i would be far better (in terms of readability and
colour-depth) if the colours would be saved with something like
"#ff00ff" - using symbols to circumvent pd's rounding errors)

mfg.as.d
IOhannes