[Pd] Stack Overflow

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Mar 26 09:36:56 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Chuckk Hubbard hat gesagt: // Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> Thanks.  That is an interesting example.  I have mixed meters, and not
> all beats are quarter notes, so I'd have to experiment...

You can also add a "float x" field to the array element structure
("beat"), then each beatline will specify its own spacing and
"spacing" in "beatgrid" will be ignored. Acually you can also delete
the "float y" field, as your beat lines probably don't need to be
moved in vertical direction, at least not as single lines, only as a
group.

> Still, I have tempo markers at irregular intervals in the score, and
> isolating them involves more skipping (of notes) than isolating the
> notes does.  Neither notes nor tempo markers could be put in an array,
> because both can be added at any time and have to be sorted according
> to X before being played back.

Arrays are always sorted. However I understand what you mean, and I
agree that arrays are not useful for that kind of data.

> Actually, playback works fine; it is when the patch steps through the
> score all at once, to transpose all notes, that I run into overflow
> errors.

Ah, that's interesting, so you may already have a solution to your
problem. You could try to do the transposing stuff with the same
and working algorithm of the playback stuff. Like playback on speed.
;) You probably have a tempo control. If you play back at a very high
tempo, do you get stack overflows as well? If not, then you should be
able to rework the transposing stuff tobe similar to playback, only
faster.

ciao