[PD] pd~conf 2.0

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 26 22:35:54 CEST 2006

On Mar 26, 2006, at 1:59 PM, CK wrote:

> I read:
>> So its sounds like a Verein is very easy to start in Austria and
>> Germany,
>
> rather easy yes.
>
>> does it provide tax-free status?
>
> no it's really hard to get that status, but since most "vereins"
> don't make
> money there is no tax, it's more about tax deductable donations.

So if a Verein receives donations, does the Verein have to pay taxes
on those donations?  That makes it much less attractive if it does
have to pay taxes.  A 501(c)3 non-profit org in the U.S. pays no
taxes, no matter how they get the money.  I think Canada has
something that is the exact same, and artengine has that status.

>> The next question is whether we can use
>> tax-free money from the EU to fund a conference outside of the EU
>> without
>> paying taxes.
>
> can't see why not

If a Verein doesn't have to pay taxes, and the money is given to
another org like artengine which does not have to pay taxes, then the
only thing left to worry about is whether there is any tax on
donations leaving Austria/Germany/EU.  Tax law is so arcane and
convoluted (esp. in the U.S.), you never know.

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
                                               -David Zicarelli