[PD] compiling maxlib, virtools - pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Mar 28 04:55:46 CEST 2006

Pd-extended has all of the maxlib binaries in it, included
[netserver]/[netclient].

http://puredata.org/downloads

[netsend]/[netreceive] and [netserver]/[netclient] both just send Pd
messages over network sockets.  But the Pd message format is very
easy, so if Virtools can open a network socket and generate and parse
simple text, then it can communicate directly with Pd.  The message
format "any text ;\n", i.e. any kind of ASCII text that is terminated
by a semi-colon and a carriage return.  People have successfully used
this method to exchange data with Java, PHP, Flash, etc.

OSC is another option, if Virtools can do OSC.  Those objects are
also included in Pd-extended:  [sendOSC], [dumpOSC], and [OSCroute].

.hc