[PD] compile pd on ubuntu 5.10

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Mar 28 22:47:18 CEST 2006

Hallo,
João Miguel Pais hat gesagt: // João Miguel Pais wrote:

> I just installed ubuntu on my thinkpad, and was trying to compile pd
> there. Apt-get and the package administrator only install an earlier
> version, so I guess it's necessary for now to do it from the tar.gz file.

(I would recommend to get a full checkout from CVS once, so you will be up
to date all the time without having to download everything again, "cvs
up" will get you all changes.)

> The compilation fails, because the c compiler can't output the right file
> format (?). Did this already happened to someone? I'm sure it's a basic
> thing, but for me that's not basic at all. I join the config.log file, if
> it isn't getting too personal.

You're probably missing a lot of stuff which Ubuntu's default install
may think is unnecessary. (While I think, a lot of stuff installed by
Ubuntu is unnecessary, but that's another story... ;) Normally if you
install the "build-essential" package your compiler should work. For
Pd you also need several "-dev" packages, like libasound-dev etc. The
easiest way to get these on a Debian system is to install the
build-dependencies for the puredata package with "apt-get build-dep
puredata".

Ciao