[PD] Synths! (Please Read)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Mar 29 06:54:16 CEST 2006

On Mar 27, 2006, at 7:47 AM, Renato Fabbri wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are making a very light distro for multimedia and
> programing that can run on obsolete computers here in
> Brazil. This is very important for public schools and
> general brazilian.

This is great, this is the kind of stuff I'd really like to support.
I often use old computers also, repurposing computers I find on the
street, etc.  What's your minimum target computer?  I've run a Pd
patch that could handle 20 samples on a Pentium 133 running Windows.
If it had been running GNU/Linux, it would have handled a lot more.

I'd like to help you use the Pd-extended build system for your
distro.  If we combine efforts, then we'll all be better off.

> We are not even going to put some synths like
> Zynaddbubfx. But PD is there!!! So we would apreciatte
> some synth/sampler/sequencer patches you like/use/´ve
> made on PD.

Someone announced on the list a few months ago that they were
collecting synths.  Was anything released?  That would be another way
to combine efforts.  I have been thinking for a while that Pd should
have a library of synths included with it.  Ideally, they would all
have the same interface wherever makes sense.  Things like all
accepting data in the range of 0-1 (not 0-127!  undo the MIDI
revolution!).  This is also something I would like to help with, but
I won't really have time until late summer.

> I´ll see how we can put some credits about the
> developers, and we won´t put them on the distro
> without the developer´s permission.

Just to make your life easier, if someone publishes a patch under the
GNU GPL or the BSD license, they have already given you permission to
use their work, you don't need to ask.  But its always nice to hear
when someone is using your code.

And if you ask me, I think you probably have better things to do that
worry about tracking down and assembling credits, like making a
better distro.  But it is a nice gesture.  FYI: The GNU GPL and BSD
license only require that you include the license file.  The original
BSD license required credits, but it turned out to create so much
extra work that the requirement was removed.

.hc