[PD] 64 channel audio output with RME HDSP-Madi

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Wed Mar 29 17:27:28 CEST 2006

Hello,

the problem is in fact a wrong behaviour of PD on multichannel cards.
Most Hammerfall has a fixed number of channels, but on dsp-madi you can choose
and in fact it does not use enable all of the channels on hardware which
means reduction in the PCI-load. so channels can be chossen from 1 to 64.
(In fact all  hdsp can do this but it is not implemented on the alsa-driver).

So the best way would be to respect the channel count from the user and if you
use more than 64 it looks for the next multichannel card, so if you use 4
madis (maximum) you have 256 channels.

I will make a patch with a cleaner solution soon, and also made an PD-external
to use the 128x64 Mixer. from PD (since alsactl cant store all values of the
matrix, so on startup you may have differennt settings).

Please tell me if you experience other problems, sind HDSP-Madi is not tested
very much on different linux machines.

mfg winfried ritsch.