[PD] Synths! (Please Read)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 30 03:57:23 CEST 2006

On Mar 29, 2006, at 10:42 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> carmen hat gesagt: // carmen wrote:
>
>> the 127 is probably going to be rescaled back to 0-1 or something
>> anyway, id rather do this on input, than much more often in some
>> synthesis code..
>
> The 127 for frequencies is scaled by [mtof] which doesn't scale to
> 0-1. The velocity scaling is indeed scaled to 0-1 most of the time,
> but personally I like being able to just connect [notein] to
> [oldschoolsynth] or [fluid~] directly.

0-1 does not make sense for freq, but for velocity it is a given.
That already is the standard in Pd for "velocity" i.e. amplitude.
Its also the standard for all the mapping objects, which will
complement the synth objects really nicely.  Its also the standard
for Gem.

This really seems like a lot of benefits to me, especially if you
consider that you'd only have to add one object to make it work with
your simple example above:

[notein]
|      |
|     [/ 127]