Tempered scale was Re: [PD] Synths! (Please Read)

patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Fri Mar 31 09:06:37 CEST 2006

Hello,
> > > Is there an object for computing twelfth root, or anything root of
> > >two?  For determining frequency difference between each interval in
> > >any  tempered scale, I guess it could be useful.
> >
> > [pow 0.0833333] for 12th root.
> >
> > [sqrt]
> >
> > Maybe [expr]?
>
> Yes, expr works, too:
> expr pow($f1, 0.0833)

All right thanks, but this only work for twelfth notes tempered scales.
I might not have asked the question correctly (sorry for my weak english).

 I wanted to know in fact if there is a more general way to get intervals
from ANY tempered scale with a simple object, maybe with [expr] indeed.
 The only operator needed would be something that does N root of 2,
I believe, as our usual chromatic scale as is tempered by twelfth root of 2,
the purpose of this would be about making instruments with microtonic intervals
with quarter, eighth, sixteenth tones, or with dividing the octave with other numbers
than twelve.
  Anyway thanks for the answer.
Patco.