[off-list] Re: [PD] newbie problem compiling dssi~

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Fri Mar 31 11:59:36 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 12:59:20 +0300
"Libero Mureddu" <libero.mureddu at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Hi,
> sending the 'info' message, doesn't produce anything, not even an
> error message in the pd window. The 'listplugins' message crashes pd,
> and also opening your patch causes the crash,
None of these things should make PD crash, and I can't reproduce the problem. On my machines if you try to load a non-existant plugin the PD console just reports that it couldn't load the plugin.

Could you send me your dssi~.pd_darwin file off list.

> I think because I don't
> have hexter installed, so I'm trying to compile dssi (not dssi~!) and
> hexter but I have some problems compiling them.

The substance of DSSI is really just a header file. The other things that get installed when you install the package are things like jack-dssi-host (another host), and some example plugins. All you need for dssi~ is dssi.h.

> But the good news are that dssi~ loads the plugins correctly it seems,
> at least it creates different inlets according to different plugins.
And do you get audio? Please find attached a very simple test patch. It only requires filter.so and sine.so.

If you still have problems loading the patch, I suggest you temporarily remove all other libaries from the path, as it is possible that a particular plugin is crashing dssi~ when it searches through your path.

> read from another email that it is not necessary to install ladspa SDK
> in order to have listplugins working, but I couldn't understand if I
> have to install jutils, or in which way jutils are related with dssi~.

Just like the DSSI 'package', the LADSPA SDK is not a real dependency. Only ladspa.h is required. I should probably modify the README so this is a bit clearer. You don't need to install 'jutils'; a modified version is already provided with the dssi~ sources, and it is compiled into dssi~.pd_darwin as part of the 'make' process. It contains the functions for searching for and loading plugins.

Jamie