[PD] Synths! (Please Read)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Mar 31 21:47:35 CEST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, carmen wrote:

> the 127 is probably going to be rescaled back to 0-1 or something
> anyway, id rather do this on input, than much more often in some
> synthesis code..
> > for frequencies 0-1 doesn't make any sense anyway.
> sure it does..multiply by samplerate and divide by two..!

That makes at least some sense, because if you multiply by the blocksize,
you get the frequency of a fourier bin.

However I'd rather not have values like that dependent on samplerate by
default. Then I don't see how 0-1 can make sense. I know a few ways to map
all possible frequencies to 0-1, but then all simple frequency operations
become hard unless you convert all of the time: * in lin is + in log but
is something completely awful in any 0-1 mapping i can think of.