[Pd] csoundapi~ issues

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 21:37:17 CEST 2006

So does it go for hours now?
If you were doing it that way, too, couldn't you set it so a note of a
certain duration retriggered the same instrument after that duration -
1 second or something?  Although for an installation it would seem
like this would cause some overlapping weirdness.
Maybe two identical instruments that trigger events in each other
immediately upon shutting off.  I don't know, but let us know if you
solve it.

On 3/31/06, Martin Peach <martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca> wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Martin Peach wrote:
> >

> >>Cool. Maybe you can let me know if you get anything to run longer than 1
> >>hour. I always get system freezes at exactly 3600 seconds.
> >

> > Hi. The SoundBlaster clock runs at about 1193 kHz. that's 2**32
> > ticks/hour. Maybe it's an overflow bug?
>
> Yes it might be...I was using what I thought was an always-on instrument
> (duration of -1), but I think this just holds the note until something
> overflows.
> I fixed it by changing the duration of the dummy note from -1 to a huge
> number less than 2^31 - 1, since apparently a csound score can't last
> more than that many beats since it's counting with a 32-bit signed
> number. That gives about 68 years...
> Maybe also changing the tempo could give longer times since the beats
> default to 1 second but could be longer.
>
> Martin

> > | Mathieu Bouchard - tél:+1.514.383.3801 - http://artengine.ca/matju
> > | Freelance Digital Arts Engineer, Montréal QC Canada

"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover
of knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"