[PD] can't use Pd-extended externals

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Apr 1 00:11:59 CEST 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, at 4:52 AM, Rich E wrote:

> I tried Hans' .pdsettings and Pd tells me:
>
> em: can't load library

Is the Gem with the Gem cut off?

> /usr/lib/pd/extra/pdp.pd_linux: libgslcblas.so.0: cannot open
> pdp: can't load library

You'll need to install libgslcblas.so.0:

apt-get install libgsl0

> gridflow: can't load library

GridFlow is not in Pd-extended (yet?).  GridFlow is not in
the .pdsettings file that i generated.  Perhaps you need to delete a
~/.pdrc?

> ascii: can't load library

Neither is this, I don't know what that is.  Its not in
the .pdsettings I generated either.

> So, I took Tom's advice and added paths for all the subfolders in /
> usr/lib/pd/extra.  Many more things work now, but about 1/4 of
> everything is missing still.  There are all some object errors.
> Here are some of the most recent that I ran into in my day's
> exploration:
>

> ext13 - [cdplayer]
> load_object: Symbol "cdplayer_setup" not found
>  cdplayer
> ... couldn't create

Donno if anyone is maintaining that...

> vasp library missing, but help files are there
> [pool] and [OSC] not there. [Gem] too... but I think you have
> mentioned this isn't possible yet.

On GNU/Linux, those aren't included yet.  But I am working on finding
people to help me get it included.  I need help with getting flext
and Gem building with Pd-extended.   Any volunteers?

> On the positive side,  the Pd Documentation Browser is really nice
> in 39.2.  References and manuals are easy to find.  On the negative
> side, right-click helps don't work, I probably have to add a -
> helppath flag for every subfolder in the pd/doc/5.reference
> folder.  I'd like to help do what I can, but I think most of my
> problems are because I cannot load the 'libdirs' as
> your .pdsettings file does.

The libdir thing will handle the helppaths.

> I hate to always ask questions about why things aren't working...
> but dernit, this program has a steap learning curve and I'm working
> on it.  You guys do amazing work and I'm determined to get up to
> speed at the risk of being annoying.

It does indeed, but I don't think anyone thinks this is a good
thing.  Its just a matter of doing the work to make things run
smoothly.  One thing you could do is document your process of trying
to get things working.  You can get a free site on puredata.org and
make a wiki page there, or whatever.

.hc

> Richie

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies."
                                                     - Amy Smith