[PD] Pd's wikipedia page

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 02:13:53 CEST 2006

Didn't I read somewhere that two of the things that separate Pd from
Max/MSP are the scalars/data structures and the ability to compute
both audio and video simultaneously?
I find the lack of scalars and data structures in every other
programming environment I have tried to be the biggest advantage to
Pd.  I wish there were some way to describe these functions so that
commercial-software-educated musicians could appreciate them.

At any rate, I think Pd's data structures should be mentioned in some
way in the Wikipedia entry.

On 3/30/06, david golightly <davigoli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> I found myself on Wikipedia today inspecting "our" site for Pd.  I
> made some changes, added some info and uploaded a screenshot of a
> patch I happened to have open at the time.  The screenshot before was
> really pointless, didn't really do anything at all.  Not to be too
> self-conscious, but the Max wikipedia page has an Autechre patch up...
> so I'm inviting anyone out there to put up a better screenshot than
> the one I did.  I'm sure there's more impressive(-looking) stuff out
> there, and as we know (from Autechre), it's all about how impressive
> your patches look, not what they sound like. ;0  I know that Wikipedia
> also has capability to upload PD (as in Public Domain) sound samples
> up, though it's hard to know where to start with Pd.  Also, is there
> anything like a list of actual performing artists who use Pd either
> live or in studio?  I'm sure several on this list are worthy of
> mention...
>
> The page could use a little expanding as well.  I put back the
> contended assertion that Pd is (like Max) a dataflow programming
> language, maybe better to say "based on the principles of dataflow
> programming" or something like that.  Tear it apart.  Please.  Just
> put it back together.
>
> Best,
>
> David

"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover
of knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"