[PD] compile pd on ubuntu 5.10

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Apr 1 20:29:37 CEST 2006

On Mar 30, 2006, at 9:10 AM, João Miguel Pais wrote:

>> Perhaps there's a loop in the include files. The warnings you showed
>> were not important, mostly unused parameters and deprecated use of
>> -mcpu. Did you do anything strange with the INCLUDE variable or -I
>> options?
>
> Strange, I can't recreate the mistake. There was an evident loop
> with the iem objects. I did altered something in the INCLUDE of a
> makefile (it's explained in the link below), but don't know anymore
> exactly in which. And it was connected with the build of the
> standard corpus, not with the externals.
>

>> What would be great is if you document your progress on a wiki
>> page so that others can learn from your experience easily, and you
>> can remember what you did in the past.  This is all a work in
>> progress, and its a big project to get integrated.  For example,
>> Java 1.4.2 has roughly 8000 objects, Pd has roughly 2000.  So Pd
>> is 1/4 the size of Java.  Do you think we have 1/4 of the budget
>> of the Sun Java dept?  I wish...
>
> Ok, then have a look at https://puredata.info/Members/jmmmp/
> ubuntuinst/. I've put there everything I know so far, including the
> latest mistake. Feel free to edit it or reply through e-mail, and
> I'll keep it updated until it's done.
>
> I was just angry because linux it's such a great system, but it
> really demands too much on the users. And there's no place with all
> the documentation, it's a continuous forum- and mailinglist-search.

I just added this comment to the bottom of your wiki page:

The above problem was caused because the patches to Pd core were not
applied before compiling. You need to "cd packages && make patch_pd"
before compiling to make sure all the required patches are included.

Also, it will take a lot of manual tweaking unless you use the same
version of Pd-core as the Pd-extended build system (currently, its on
0.39.2).

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore