[PD] Re: GUI to control [gemwin]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Apr 2 02:10:21 CEST 2006

On Apr 1, 2006, at 5:48 PM, james tittle wrote:

> ...neat ideas!
>
> On Apr 1, 2006, at 4:08 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> This leads me to another question, is there a way to set the
>> framerate with a message?  This object makes that necessary.   I
>> am also wondering whether I should expand it into a general gemwin
>> control panel with more info, but then I am reproducing the
>> pixelTANGO objects...
>
> [frame $1< sets the framerate, with 20 being the default...
> [fps< only works if you've sent [profile 1< (ie. are in profile
> mode):  it sends the current fps to the [gemwin] outlet...
>
>> On Apr 1, 2006, at 3:56 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> I made a GUI object to control the [gemwin] object that also
>>> displays its status.  When a new instance is created, it queries
>>> existing instances to get the status.  That way all instances
>>> will show the same status.  I am planning on using this in the
>>> intro to Gem tutorial/workshop that I am currently working on.
>>> So feedback would be appreciated.
>
> ...watch out on this one:  we'll soon (?) have multiple_windows
> working, and likely not want all windows to be open at the same
> time, much less render at the same time...

Indeed.  Until then...

>>> Is there any way to query [gemwin] directly?
>
> ...currently, fps is the only message that sends an output to the
> outlet...what are you thinking about?

Rendering, 1/0, gemwin create status 1/0, lighting 1/0, etc.
Basically, anything that you can set in a [gemwin].

Then you can have a GUI object which queries the actual gemwin rather
than having to track it all itself.  This will become much more
important with multiple windows.

____

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!