[PD] compile pd on ubuntu 5.10

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Apr 3 19:44:34 CEST 2006

On Apr 2, 2006, at 7:44 AM, João Miguel Pais wrote:

>>> [If anyone's interested I can even make a direct ssh connection
>>> with someone that could compile this on this system and let him
>>> work.]
>>> <make-patch_pd.txt>
>>
>> This is actually quite helpful for getting the bugs worked out and
>> the problems with the documentation fixed up. I added some more
>> info to the bottom of this page:
>>
>> http://puredata.org/docs/developer/Debian
>>
>> To the "Checking out..." and "Building" sections.
>
> ok, that helps a bit. But please, don't forget that (as I see it)
> the purpose is to make a documentation for someone who doesn't know
> the commands or the system. Or documentation wouldn't be necessary
> at all.
> Instead of
>
> cvs checkout -r v0-39-2 pd
>
> the full comands for cvs should be
>
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data login
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data
> checkout -r v0-39-2 pd

Yes, that is a good point.  That page is a wiki, so please edit it
when you think it needs clarification.

> or at least only that way worked here. (of course it took me
> 1/2hour to check out the other page and try around until it worked.
> as I said, I'm not a programmer, and I'm not a linuxer, all these
> commands are new to me, and I guess they should be also for anyone
> else who takes the suggestions to try to use a better system than
> windows)
> But this then opens up a newer question: if pd and the externals
> must be "in sync", then how is it possible to know what's to do? I
> can now put this information on the page, but in one month it will
> be out of date.

Then we need to change that page.  Pd-extended is a huge undertaking,
there is lots left to be done.  So right now, there are many things
which are not very well implemented.  Hopefully, the more people we
have working together on it, the better it will get.  But for now,
there are a lot of annoyances.

> Ok, the compiling goes one step further, but not enough yet. I took
> out pd .40 and installed .39-2. Then sudo make patch_pd , cd
> linux_make/ , sudo make install , and in the end there are still
> some errors. What went wrong is:
>
> `-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.
> d_fft.c:513:2: Fehler: #else hinter #else
> d_fft.c:43:1: Fehler: die Bedingung begann hier
> make[2]: *** [makefile.dependencies] Fehler 1
> make[1]: [pd] Fehler 2 (ignoriert)
> `-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.
> d_fft.c:513:2: Fehler: #else hinter #else
> d_fft.c:43:1: Fehler: die Bedingung begann hier
> make[2]: *** [d_fft.o] Fehler 1
> make[1]: *** [pd_install] Fehler 2
> make: *** [install] Fehler 2
>

> what went right is on the attached file.
> <install-log.txt>

Ok, I've never compiled auf Deutsch, so the error messages are not
familiar to me.  But I can guess.  That message sounds to me like
packages/patches/fftw_support-0.39-1.patch got applied twice.  That
patch doesn't really do anything yet, so you could "rm d_fft.c; cvs
update d_fft.c" and just compile without the patch.

Otherwise, post a transcript of the whole compilation session,
including "make patch_pd".  FYI: you can check to see if the files
are patched or not by doing "cvs update" in pd/src.  None of the
files should show up as modified when the sources are clean, i.e.
fresh from CVS without patches applied.  You can always just delete
modified filed, then "cvs update file".  If you are using "-
d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data", then
you'll need to include that in the "cvs -
d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data update"

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore