[PD] Synths! (Please Read)

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Mon Apr 3 20:03:10 CEST 2006

Christian Klippel wrote:

>hi,
>
>Am Samstag, 1. April 2006 00:31 schrieb Martin Peach:
>

>>Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>>

>>>In my experience, external synths, hardware or software, are
>>>completely useless for any sort of polyphonic alternate tuning use,
>>>since they don't use Hz.
>>>

>>Older hardware works by Volts per Octave (e.g. Arp, Moog) or Volts per
>>Hertz (e.g. Korg).
>>

>ouch .... i would recommend to use such a synth for lfo applications only ...
>imagine you want a 2 khz sound ... meaning 2 kilovolts ... ;-)

Yeah right...upside down as usual (-;
I was trying to say that if you put in 1 Volt you could get (depending
on your initial offset) 440Hz and then at 2 volts you get either 880Hz
(an octave) on one type of analog synth or 540 Hz (440 + 100 at
100Hz/Volt) on another.
That is to say, frequency in an analog synth is determined by
offset+(Octave/Volt) or offset + konstant*(Hertz/Volt).
Anyway, there is no absolute frequency in an analog synth the way there
is in a digital one, and the ratio is usually adjustable too so
alternate tunings are much easier to implement.

Martin