[PD] Synths! (Please Read)

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 20:27:04 CEST 2006

My school has one of the first Moogs, which I managed to get my hands
on, and a smaller Moog and an Arp 2600.  Great fun (an amazing
opportunity really), and unlimited microtonality, but not always
precise.  I don't know much about maintenance, it could just be that
they're old, but it doesn't take long for the oscillators to start to
wander.  Also, not only restricted to octave equivalence, but to 12
notes.  It's easy to lose a few hours to their seductive ways, though.

On 4/3/06, Martin Peach <martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca> wrote:
> Christian Klippel wrote:
>
> >hi,

> >>Older hardware works by Volts per Octave (e.g. Arp, Moog) or Volts per
> >>Hertz (e.g. Korg).
> >>

> >ouch .... i would recommend to use such a synth for lfo applications only ...
> >imagine you want a 2 khz sound ... meaning 2 kilovolts ... ;-)
> >

> Yeah right...upside down as usual (-;
> I was trying to say that if you put in 1 Volt you could get (depending
> on your initial offset) 440Hz and then at 2 volts you get either 880Hz
> (an octave) on one type of analog synth or 540 Hz (440 + 100 at
> 100Hz/Volt) on another.
> That is to say, frequency in an analog synth is determined by
> offset+(Octave/Volt) or offset + konstant*(Hertz/Volt).
> Anyway, there is no absolute frequency in an analog synth the way there
> is in a digital one, and the ratio is usually adjustable too so
> alternate tunings are much easier to implement.
>
> Martin

"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover
of knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"