[PD] compile pd on ubuntu 5.10

João Miguel Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 3 23:24:22 CEST 2006

> Yes, that is a good point.  That page is a wiki, so please edit it when
> you think it needs clarification.

ok. strange, I could swear that before it wasn't possible to edit that
page. Anyway you've corrected it already.

> Then we need to change that page.  Pd-extended is a huge undertaking,
> there is lots left to be done.  So right now, there are many things
> which are not very well implemented.  Hopefully, the more people we have
> working together on it, the better it will get.  But for now, there are
> a lot of annoyances.

then there's something I don't quite get yet: pd-extended for windows has
all the externals bundled. Is that the case with pd-ext for the other
distros? Currently I have in my computer the updated cvs, and pd 0.39-2.
Is this correct for the build-up process? or should your pd-ext package
have everything?
maybe it's better to make a script where the latest pd-ext version and all
the rest from cvs gets downloaded? change the current script and keep it
actualized?

>> `-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.
>> d_fft.c:513:2: Fehler: #else hinter #else
>> d_fft.c:43:1: Fehler: die Bedingung begann hier
>> make[2]: *** [makefile.dependencies] Fehler 1
>> make[1]: [pd] Fehler 2 (ignoriert)
>> `-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.
>> d_fft.c:513:2: Fehler: #else hinter #else
>> d_fft.c:43:1: Fehler: die Bedingung begann hier
>> make[2]: *** [d_fft.o] Fehler 1
>> make[1]: *** [pd_install] Fehler 2
>> make: *** [install] Fehler 2
>>

>> what went right is on the attached file.
>> <install-log.txt>
>
> Ok, I've never compiled auf Deutsch, so the error messages are not

I'll try a translation, just in case:
Fehler = error ; hinter = behind ; die Bedingung begann hier = the
condition begun here

> familiar to me.  But I can guess.  That message sounds to me like
> packages/patches/fftw_support-0.39-1.patch got applied twice.  That
> patch doesn't really do anything yet, so you could "rm d_fft.c; cvs
> update d_fft.c" and just compile without the patch.
> Otherwise, post a transcript of the whole compilation session, including

ok, here are more text files. I get the impression that by each time it
compiles up to a different point. it's still in german. if there's a way
to change it to english I can do the process again.

> "make patch_pd".  FYI: you can check to see if the files are patched or
> not by doing "cvs update" in pd/src.  None of the files should show up
> as modified when the sources are clean, i.e. fresh from CVS without
> patches applied.  You can always just delete modified filed, then "cvs
> update file".  If you are using "-
> d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data", then you'll
> need to include that in the "cvs -
> d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-data update"

here is the result of the cvs update:
? config.h.in
? configure
cvs update: -m wrapper option is not supported remotely; ignored
cvs update: Updating .
M m_pd.h
M makefile
M makefile.dependencies
M makefile.in
M s_stuff.h
cvs update: Updating icons
cvs update: Updating locale

I guess that the files were "dirty"

Aha, I noticed by that files that were already compiled, that you divided
the libraries into individual externals, like you did in windows. Don't
you think that it might sometime take too much space, or at least much
more than it would be necessary? Isn't it possible to keep libraries as
one file and still be everything automatic?