[PD] Re: GUI to control [gemwin]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Apr 4 01:27:25 CEST 2006

On Apr 1, 2006, at 11:25 PM, chris clepper wrote:

> > ...currently, fps is the only message that sends an output to the
> > outlet...what are you thinking about?
>
> Rendering, 1/0, gemwin create status 1/0, lighting 1/0, etc.
> Basically, anything that you can set in a [gemwin].
>
> The gemwin doesn't modify that info so whatever you set it to be it
> will be.  Why add code to tell you what you have already done?  You
> example patch looks to already cover that with no additional effort.

If you open a new patch with [gemwin_control] in it, then that object
needs to get the status of any existing [gemwin] so that it will
display the status correctly.  I hacked [gemwin_control] so that it
handles the status querying.  It makes sense to me to instead query
[gemwin] directly.

The example here is a series of tutorial patches.  Each patch should
be standalone, so that you can create/destroy the [gemwin].  But
usually, the user will go thru them in a sequence.  So when you load
a new patch, it should display the [gemwin] status correctly.

It would be great if Pd itself also had a message-based system for
querying the status of everything.

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore