[PD] compile pd on ubuntu 5.10

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Apr 4 06:02:34 CEST 2006

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> There has been many discussions on this topic.  Having individual files
> is much more flexible.  It probably takes up more space, and undoubtedly
> there are other issues with it, but its the best solution for
> Pd-extended.  Plus its how Java manages its classes, so there is a good
> precedent for it.

I wouldn't call JAVA a good precedent. The way JAVA fixed most mistakes of
C++ is by introducing a different set of mistakes instead and then
marketing them as a religion.

I've always considered class==file to be a big mistake, but that's prolly
because my first diskettes were formatted in FAT8 with 68 blocks of 2.25k
each and there was no way to change this setting so creating lots of small
files was a waste of space.