[PD] Pd's wikipedia page

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 08:40:32 CEST 2006

On 4/3/06, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, david golightly wrote:
>
> > And we don't necessarily need to mention "pointers" on the Wikipedia
> > site
>
> Pd has only three atom types and "pointer" is one of them. That's
> certainly worth mentioning. It's also worth mentioning because it was the
> first big new feature in Pd, ever.

I agree.  I've searched in vain for equivalent features in other audio
software, and I want other potential users to understand the value of
this feature.
Being a composer first, I lean towards not making the Wikipedia
article a tutorial, but an exposition in plain language.  I don't see
most musicians getting past the first paragraph of the separate
Wikipedia article on Data Structures.  The explanation on the Pure
Data page is good, but I still think some potential users will stop
reading before they get to Data Structures.  Someone looking on
Wikipedia is probably at the point of deciding whether to learn
Reaktor, Max, Csound, or whatever else, and IMO pointers are why they
should choose Pd.
That's just my opinion.  It's also possible that people who can't
follow it won't be interested in Pure Data in the first place...