[Pd] Defeat real-time scheduling

Urs Liska pd at ursliska.de
Wed Apr 5 09:42:51 CEST 2006

>> If you have a patch that takes "250% of the CPU" or something like that,
>> and it doesn't use the microphone/linein, and only writes to a file, then
>> Pd should be able to do that flawlessly, if no objects use physical time,
>> that is, they all use logical time instead. Logical time slows down when
>> you use "more than 100% of the CPU" to account for the fact that only 100%
>> of the CPU is usable (!) and it catches up on physical time when you allow
>> it to.

Interesting. This explains to some weird behaviour I noticed with
patches that I use mainly to trigger MIDI synthesizers. If I have set
the audio buffer too low, then it my clocks run way too slow. I always
thought that pd goes crazy when it can't deliver the requested latency
but your explanation makes very much sense to me.

Best
Urs
--
Urs Liska