[PD] $ sign removed from message

bq ix at replic.net
Thu Apr 6 00:02:17 CEST 2006

On Wed Apr 05, 2006 at 11:48:40AM -0700, david golightly wrote:
> Wow, this one comes up all the time.  $0 doesn't exist in
> "message"-space.  $n in a message means something completely different
> than $n as a creation argument - this is covered in the first chapter
> of the help docs.  (Now might be a good time to review them.)  The
> standard way to get $0 into a message is to pass it as a message
> argument, for instance:

yup. it is a crazy dance, turning an instance argument into a message argument using the stock object classes.. coupled with the single-substitution limi of [makefilename], its amazing how bloated a patch can look just to do some basic things. i replaced all my msgboxes with [sprintf]s since they can easily access instance and message arguments, and don't require the $N to come before other text in a symbol..

how about compound messageboxes, that encapsulate other classes as inline-objects [$1 ($2 * 3) ($3 / 127)( ,and signals [~$1 - (cos ~$2)(..

as for the selector/nonlist thing, does anyone find it unintuitive having to mentally map between inlets and message elements, especially when theyre unnumbered and unlabeled? what about faking 'method' inlets in the GUI, that have actual names on them, and really just send to the first inlet and prefix with the selector (at least until fixing this in a better way), something like this: http://www.nongnu.org/om-synth/gated_sine.png

> I mean, is there a really good reason to
> keep [$0( meaningless?

hmm. confusion?