[PD] Analog/good-sounding oscillators in PD

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Thu Apr 6 22:52:30 CEST 2006

alexandre matheson wrote:

> hello,
>
> Sounds like a very interesting project.
>
> It is my understanding that analog synthesizers generate the basic
> waveforms with additive synthesis.

Analog synths do subtractive synthesis: they start with square and
triangle waves and pass them through filters to remove harmonics. The
square and triangle waves are derived from the voltage on a capacitor
that's charged and discharged at a constant rate.
A fourier synthesizer does additive synthesis by adding harmonics
together at various levels. Analog synths have trouble with this because
analog oscillators generally don't stay synchronized.

Martin