[PD] Analog/good-sounding oscillators in PD

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Fri Apr 7 15:09:59 CEST 2006

> i'm skeptical about the concept of making idm etc easy to create. i've
> always thought the point of his kind of music is to try out new
> techniques and create new and original sounds. if its easy to do, and
> a producer is just painting by numbers then the result is probably
> going to be formulaic to say the least.

The idea of unique genius? Access to technology and the creation process
should be as easy as possible so nothing is in the way, but I can
understand your fear of painting by numbers music of so called
creatives. But I have the high hopes that audience is mature enough to
recognize a good work from a boring one (hence the crisis of the
music/film industry ???). For me the most important thing is a good
idea, not a complicated technique (thats so 90s :) ). Its the same with
the media arts, which is maturing in the moment. The tryout phase of the
90s is over and everybody showed that he and she can put out some
flickering and sounding stuff but now its time to create something
actually. I know some people talking about a crisis in media arts but I
think it is the most exciting times right now.

> as someone else said - an analog one. why fake it? its like
> synthesising a violin. if you want a violin then get a real violin
> because it will sound more like a violin..
>
> i suppose cost is a reason to simulate an analog sound. hardware can
> get quite pricey.
>
> sorry, just realised i'm being very negative. i'll shut up now.

No, you got some good points. Look at the VSTi plugin market, loads of
analogue emulations instead creating new sounds with the software
possibilities, its incredible. But a TB303 plugin sells better, I
learned it the hard way.
Its nothing bad to toy around with analogue simulations and if it
attracts more people to be creative its ok with me.
In one of my music projects I like to mix some 'analogish' elements with
wired digital ones although I sometimes realize its a bit strange to
recreate my studio which is inhabited by some analogue synths, but I
like to have a studio on the run but I am not happy with the limited
commercial approaches like Reason.

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner
media art + development

Elektronengehirn concert 29. April 2006
KuBaSta Hamburg, Germany

more at blog 4, also available as rss feed:
http://java.block4.com/blog4/