[PD] Reverberation in PD: suggestions?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Apr 7 19:49:18 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Peter Worth hat gesagt: // Peter Worth wrote:

> as for reverb, i'm convinced that impulse responses are the way
> forward. in fact, convolution can do nearly anything - like filters,
> as long as they are linear and time invariant etc etc

Convolution based reverbs have the problem of being rather hard to
make dynamic in the sense, that they just "sample" a concrete room
instead of synthesizing ideas of rooms.

This is similar to sample-based sounds: Of course the most perfectly
sounding piano note is one that was sampled, however to really make
use of that as an instrument you need to sample a lot of piano notes
in various velocities and pitch ranges and playing styles - which
works for a piano but gets much harder for instruments like the
saxophone and in both cases requires a lot of memory.

So I still see a place for artifical reverbs to create unusual and
interesting stuff instead of just sounding like the Met.

Anyways, some other nice reverbs not yet mentioned are feedback delay
networks as described in an older paper by Miller and as realized as
an external by Tom Schouten with [fdn~] in Creb. This is a good
example of an algorithmic reverb that can be modulated to go from a
room-like reverb to become a full-flegded delay effect box.

Another very nice related external is [space~] by Shahrokh Yadegari
[1] of [expr]-fame, based on prior work by F. Richard Moore. I think,
I posted a data structure based control-interface for [space~] here
some weeks ago as part of the xy-control-patch. It is not a reverb in
itself, but can use any external reverb to enhance the spatialization
of sounds.

[1] http://www.crca.ucsd.edu/~yadegari/software.html

Ciao