[Pd] Spectrum a whole bunch of times

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 01:57:21 CEST 2006

I am fond of the help patch D.08.table.spectrum.pd.  I am interested
in making something similar for my JI sequencer.
But, I want 8 voices with 20-note polyphony.  Not 20 notes per voice,
but 8 separate spectrum-lookup tables and 20 instances of the
note-calculating abstraction, switching between those 8 tables
depending on which voice the current note has.

I already have it set up to do 20-note polyphony reading from 8
wavetables, but spectrum lookup is far more expensive; doing it the
way the help patch does means 30 oscillators per note.
Is there any way to set this up so Pd can handle it in real-time?  I
set up the wavetables so each is calculated by the same set of
oscillators, which send only to whichever one is being edited; and I
set it up so each of the 20 note abstractions is switched on before
each note and switched off after.

The way I'm conceiving of this, though, each of the 20 note
abstractions would require 30 oscillator abstractions...

Any chance of that happening in real time?

-Chuckk

--
"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover
of knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."