[PD] feature request for [list]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Apr 11 16:47:50 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Roman Haefeli hat gesagt: // Roman Haefeli wrote:

> more and more i realize that i can do most basic things in pd without
> externals. before all, the introduction of [list] made many objs of
> externals, that i used a lot, obsolete. one (in my eyes) basic task remains
> uncovered by list: splitting symbols into lists (e.g. separated by a
> separator-char). it would be very nice, if this could be done in future
> versions of pd.
> i really like the idea to be independent from externals as far as it is
> possible, mainly for reasons of portability. even if i could reach the same
> with less code, i'd prefer the solution built with only natives. are there
> good reasons against this idea?

I don't think this is functionality that belongs to the [list] object
itself. But I agree that [s2l] or [fromsymbol] would be very useful to
have inside main Pd as well. ("l2s" is already possible using only
builtin objects, see list-l2s.pd in [list]-abs.)

I would however vote for adding

1) negative indices to [list split] (patch available @sourceforge)
2) a fast [drip] made native to [list] (source code in Zexy)

to pd-0.40, because [drip] is necessary for every non-trivial
list-operation and negative indices are a natural extension of the
currently available splitting and they are trivial to implement.

Another item on my wishlist would be a faster [repack] than the usual
[list prepend]X[t a] idiom.

Ciao