[PD] tunetof - an mtof for alternative tunings

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 18:36:08 CEST 2006

Interesting.  I looked it over, I'm still not sure why note numbers
are necessary.
Although, if the base frequency and reference tone can be changed at
will, as in Scala's .seq format, that could get pretty deep.
I use a data structure with numerator and denominator fields.  Toxy's
mouse sensing looks up 40-some ratio elements, and assigns a potential
note a numerator and denominator from an element.  If I hover at 7/5
and hit T with the score up, 7/5 becomes 1/1 and its frequency is the
base.  From there I can modulate as far as the 32-bit floats will let
me, and just hit G to return to 1/1= middle C.  I have it set up for
11-limit JI, I figure if I need any higher primes I can enter them
manually.
But being able to modulate the whole pitch collection means I have a
pretty much unlimited number of frequencies, while still being able to
use a mouse.

I haven't experimented with an abstraction that would take a pitch set
and map it to my elements.  I don't have it as a 1:1 ratio of pixels
to ratios; I take whatever ratio's height is closest to current y
value.  It would be nice to be able to stick Islamic, Greek, or Indian
modules in.  I haven't played with Scala in a long time, maybe I
should again.

Here are screenshots of what I'm talking about.
-Chuckk