[PD] feature request for [list]

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Apr 12 03:56:28 CEST 2006

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 03:09:04AM +0200, pd-list-request at iem.at wrote:
> From: Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org>
> Subject: Re: [PD] feature request for [list]
>
> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
> > Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >
> > > 1) negative indices to [list split] (patch available @sourceforge)
> > > 2) a fast [drip] made native to [list] (source code in Zexy)
> >
> > by [drip] do you mean [repack 1] or the "real" (delay-based!) [drip]?
>
> Both. ;) I'm just talking about a way to serialize a list into single
> atoms. But now that you mention it: Actually I need two kinds of
> serialization: One that just unfolds a complete list into its single
> elements, and another one, which does it on demand. I called it
> "list-dripslow" which is a bad name, but here, only one element is
> sent to the outlet, and on each bang the next element is sent.

I'd like to second the suggestions of these additions to Pd. I think
the important features to add would be those that can't currently be
simulated with abstrations and other builtins. For example, [s2l] which
as discussed works like Perl's split() function. Negative indicies could
be simulated with the help of [mod] if only there was a [list length]
as suggested by Frank. The drip style serialization which you suggest
above could also be simulated easily with [until] and [list length] and
[list split].

So basically I'd like to see a [list length] and an [s2l].

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx