[PD] tunetof - an mtof for alternative tunings

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 07:48:36 CEST 2006

On 4/11/06, Martin Peach <martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca> wrote:
> Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>

> >...  I believe that, with computers, the harmonic
> >possibilities opened up by other tunings could dwarf those of 12-tET.
> >But obviously not with keyboards.
> >

> See Harry Partch's Chromelodeon here:
> http://www.corporeal.com/instbro/inst12.ht
>
> Martin

Not a big fan of Partch.  First, he devises an intricate, deep tuning
system dependent on natural harmonics.  Then he creates a giant
orchestra of percussion and plucked strings to realize it!
Instruments with lots of inharmonic partials as part of their
characteristic sounds.  Of course, I owe him big time.  He endured
lots of misery for his theories, and he really knew his stuff.
The Chromelodeon is different, but I still think it sounds hideous
compared to the human voice or Partch's viola.  Partch also wasn't
creating so much a harmonic structure as melodic music.

The composer whose samples I linked to in another reply, Toby Twining,
was a student of Ben Johnston, who was actually a student of Partch.
I might myself have some lessons with Toby next semester!  I almost
did before, but it didn't pan out.

-Chuckk

--
"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover
of knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."