[PD] feature request for [list]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Apr 12 10:14:46 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:

> I'd like to second the suggestions of these additions to Pd. I think
> the important features to add would be those that can't currently be
> simulated with abstrations and other builtins. For example, [s2l]
> which as discussed works like Perl's split() function. Negative
> indicies could be simulated with the help of [mod] if only there was
> a [list length] as suggested by Frank.  The drip style serialization
> which you suggest above could also be simulated easily with [until]
> and [list length] and [list split].
>
> So basically I'd like to see a [list length] and an [s2l].

You can do "list length" with a simple counter and "list split"
already. It's called [list-len] in [list]-abs.  However unfolding a
list using [until] and [list split] is very slow.  I did benchmarks
comparing it to [drip] and it takes ages longer. As a "drip" operation
is used so often - Matju once compared it to the "for"-loop of other
languages - it is important that "drip" is fast, and not only fast,
but very fast.  I'd much prefer to have a fast unfolding operation
over getting "list length".

And negative indices are just very convenient, and the object is
already in.

I don't think that [s2l] should become part of [list]. To me
it is a typical string operation, like Perl's split and string.split()
in Python.

Ciao