[PD] Analog/good-sounding oscillators in PD

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Apr 13 06:29:40 CEST 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Malte Steiner wrote:

> The idea of unique genius? Access to technology and the creation process
> should be as easy as possible so nothing is in the way,

Yes. That's why standards of recording are currently raising in order to
justify high-end equipment. If the rich musicians can't show off their
high-end equipment around because everyone's got high-end, then they won't
get all the attention that they think that they deserve. Don't you think
it'll get harder to get funding for projects that don't use HDTV
resolution and/or 8.1 ambisonics at 24-bit 192 kHz ?

See also Miller's talk "Giving an Engineer a Hammerfall". (kidding)

> but I can understand your fear of painting by numbers music of so called
> creatives.

In the future it will get easier to come up with original stuff using just
"paint-by-numbers" music, but this advantage of technology won't be used
much in mainstream music because originality isn't much valued there.

> But I have the high hopes that audience is mature enough to recognize a
> good work from a boring one (hence the crisis of the music/film industry
> ???).

The difference between a good work and a boring work lies in the
expectations that one has vis-à-vis the music, and hence what one pays
attention to in the music.

> For me the most important thing is a good idea, not a complicated
> technique (thats so 90s :)

Non non non, the most important thing is a _simplistic_ technique!
First, spend all of your energy on the grant request paperwork. _That's_
what's important: that's what you get your paycheck for!

> I know some people talking about a crisis in media arts but I think it
> is the most exciting times right now.

What was it like, to make movies in the 1910's?

> No, you got some good points. Look at the VSTi plugin market, loads of
> analogue emulations instead creating new sounds with the software
> possibilities, its incredible. But a TB303 plugin sells better, I
> learned it the hard way.

It's because originality is not valued by the mainstream.