[PD] Help with "pack" / lists

cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com
Fri Apr 14 00:22:08 CEST 2006

Okay more questions:

1. Why isn't [quarter( a symbol??? According to the manual it is, and I
quote: 'Anything that is not a valid number os considered a
symbol...Non-valid numbers which are read as symbols include things like
"+5" and "0..6" as well as words and names such as "Zack" or "cat". The
symbols "gore", "Gore", and "GORE" are all distinct.'

2. In the attached patch, I added symbols as you suggested. Why do I get
the output: "list setUnit quarter" for example, instead of just "setUnit
quarter"? Where is this list coming from--pack by definition creates a
list, so this behavior makes little sense. It seems to be interpreting
setUnit as a list, rather than a symbol.

Oh, and I can't use [list append] because I'm trying to combine two
symbols INTO a list, and list append doesn't like the symbol in the right
inlet.

3. How can I found out all this list stuff? It's undocumented in my PD
version... I never heard of [list append] or [list prepend] before, they
seem to work but I can't pull up any help files on them.

Thanks for the help, I just need to understand some things that are,
apparently, undocumented "features" or quirks or whatever... I'm working
on my mnmlPD project and there will definitely be patches to share with
the community when I'm finished. I'm trying to use the best practice and
make it as compatible and CROSS-PLATFORM as I can though, and use
externals as little as possble.

~David