[PD] reading and handling of multichannel data request

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Fri Apr 14 15:14:55 CEST 2006

Hi Florian

Florian Grond wrote:
> Is there for PD on Windows any possibility to have an oscillator bank
> with say 50 to 100 oscillators, that accepts a list of 50 to100
> components to set/change the frequencies of this oscillators
> dynamically, possibly smooth with a line~ object?

Yes, of course. You just have to build it ;-) I recommend making a
single abstraction that you can reuse multiple times. For bonus points,
you could use [nqpoly4] to dynamically create them at loadtime (instead
of copy/paste x 100!).

> How can I best read in large amount of multichannel data, to
> conveniently control such an oscillator bank?

I would look at [pack] and [unpack] as a way or creating compound
messages consisting of several floats. Also, [msgfile] might not be the
best thing to use to save and load values. I've had very good luck with
[col] as a way of storing and retrieving information, especially paths
to files in my own case. Other people also use [pool]. Frank Barknecht's
set of Memento abstractions would be a good place to look as well, since
it uses [pool] and OSC to save and load presets. Lastly, you might look
into [matrix] or [matrix~] as a way of handling large amounts of control
information for your oscillator banks.

best,
d.

--